So, I Got a Viltrox Canon EF to MFT Adapter

… the standard type, not a speedbooster.

What EF-Mount lens should I get to use on my Lumix G9? I’m covered from 12mm to 56mm in native MFT glass. I’m thinking about a Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, but would love input and suggestions from y’all.

Edit: Duh, forgot to mention I also have the Panny 45-150.

If you can afford it the Sigma Art 135mm f1.8 is a world-beater for IQ.
AF, through an adapter to m4/3, is good. (I was using the Oly E-M1 III).

I am also shopping for the 150/2.8 macro, just haven’t found one.

1 Like

The Sigma 135/1.8 is definitely beyond my range - I have looked at the Samyang 135/2, though. I really enjoyed the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 180/2.5 on my Pentax APS-C cameras, and the 135/2 on my G9 would give a similar field of view. It was that train of thought that eventually led me to the Sigma 150/2.8 Macro. I do wonder, though, how good that lens would be wide open on the 20MP m4/3 sensor.

I used the Samyang/Rokinon 135/2 for a couple of seasons for astro. Excellent IQ.
I only replaced it with the Sigma because of a frustrating experience with Samyang honoring the warranty on another Samyang lens I owned. That put me right off owning Samyang.

If I’m considering an unknown lens I tend to rely on test results from LensTip.
For me, their results for the Sigma 150/2.8 EX DG OS HSM macro were very encouraging, in fact it was a toss-up between that and the Sigma 105/2.8 EX DG OS HSM macro.
Though, if you’re thinking wide-open performance both those lenses are better stopped down to f/5.6.

Lenstip is a good site, the best I know of for all-around lens testing.

I do realize that the Sigma is best when stopped down a bit, just hoping for “decent” performance wide open.

The Samyang 135/2 is pretty close to peak sharpness at f/2, though:

samyang1352

I was very pleased with the performance of my Samyang 135/2 for astro, although I did stop down to f/2.8 for that little bit extra on the edges.
I know of several others who have the same superb experience with that lens for astro.
It’s just that Samyang have a history of not-so-good quality control (on other lenses). Though I have not heard of any complaints with the 135/2 specifically.
If you can, buy from a dealer with a good return warranty, just in case.

Oh, definitely. I’ve read too many horror stories of Samyang’s quality control.

1 Like

EFS 55-250 STM. Then you can let me know how well the AF works with the G9. I’ve got one that I bought brand new a few years back, for the massive sum of around $190 Au. Was a great little lens on Canon APSC cameras.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that 55-250 STM… I’ve spent the last 30 minutes or so checking it out, and it seems a real good prospect. The 58mm filter size is a real plus.

1 Like

Canon EF-S 55-250 STM ordered! :smiley: Should arrive next week…