OM System OM-1 Mirrorless Camera

Type

Camera body, Micro Four Thirds mount

Manufacturer summary

As the flagship of the mirrorless OM SYSTEM, the OM-1 is equipped with the industry’s latest technology to realize your most creative ideas. Pick it up and be amazed at its compact size, how it fits naturally in your hand and how little effort it takes to lift it. Break free from heavy, bulky cameras and tripods with the world’s best image stabilization system for shooting sharp handheld shots, even in low light. Weathersealing lets you work without worry in adverse conditions. You’ll have the speed and precision to capture the impossible and take your photos and video to new, exciting places.

External product pages

Specifications

Via DPReview, archived on archive.org

Product video

Comments

The OM-1 is an impressive camera and a worthy successor to the E-M1 flagships from the 2010s, particularly the E-M1 and the E-M1 Mark II. Introduced in 2022, it has a 4/3’’ Stacked BSI Live MOS sensor and is powered by the TruePic X engine. I’ve used it in the subarctic and it’s the perfect camera to bring with you on a trip, especially to more rugged environments. It has the key attributes of the flagship Olympus mirrorless cameras that we love: weathersealing, outstanding image stabilization, intelligent subject recognition (including Bird AF), and phase detection autofocus. Unlike the E-M1X, it doesn’t have built in GPS, but OM System did scrap the ridiculous 29 minute recording limit, making the OM-1 more useful for video work. The menu system also got a big overhaul.

OM System did not bump up the megapixels on the OM-1, choosing instead to focus on other sensor improvements for this camera.

With the OM-1, we now have a sensor that is both backside-illuminated (BSI) sensor and stacked. The former should afford some light-gathering improvement, while the latter gives us some incredible speed, though usually at the expense of some dynamic range. This is the first time we’ve seen either of these features inside of a Micro Four Thirds camera, let alone at once. All of this is very welcome given that these features have been available in full-frame cameras for the better half of a decade. – Matt Williams, PetaPixel

If you are new to photography, it’s important to note the OM-1 lacks scene modes and other tools that can be helpful for beginners. You won’t find that on the mode dial. The primary target market for this camera is pro photographers and serious enthusiasts. If those are features that are important to you, you might want to consider a different (and less expensive!) body.

If image quality is important to you and you want the best Micro Four Thirds can deliver, pairing the OM-1 with Zuiko PRO lenses or top of the line Leica glass will yield excellent results. You may also want to try lenses from companies like Voigtländer or Sigma.

Notable changes compared to previous bodies

• Viewfinder resolution increased to 5.76M dots from 2.36M dots on the E-M1 Mark III and E-M1X
  • Display resolution improved to 1,620,000 screen pixels from 1,037,000 screen pixels on the E-M1 Mark III and E-M1X
  • Intelligent subject recognition now includes dogs and cats
  • New menu system
  • AF points raised to 1,053 from 121 on the E-M1 Mark III and E-M1X
  • Dynamic range is 1 stop better
  • Noise performance enhanced by two stops
  • Live ND bolstered to ND64, up from ND32 on E-M1 Mark III and E-M1X
2 Likes

I’ve collected a number of OM-1 reviews, saved in a database:

Enjoy!

7 Likes

Wow, outstanding work compiling this!

1 Like

Thanks!

I have an SQL database with all my gear. Whenever I see useful info about something I own, I log it in the database. Most items have 3-5 entries or so, but there were so many good reviews of the OM-1! And some items, sadly, have no links at all.

If there’s something on my list of gear that you’re interested in, let me know and I’ll post my links for that item.

What a fantastic resource.
Thank you for posting it here.

1 Like

As an OM-1 owner, I am beginning to think that a year after launch, there ought to be a major software update - with some meaningful updates.

1 Like

What is missing, what makes you think that a major update should be announced?

For starters, replace face/eye by proper human detection that works as well as birds. Face/eye today is mediocre.

The subject AF also has some scenes in which it struggles and jumps back and forward between subject and background.

Tracking (outside of subject) is not good.

1 Like

I am sure that in the initial announcements of the OM-1, it was stated that the processor used only a small part of its capacity to allow for future updates, so not unreasonable to expect some improvements?

As Profile - Jamajuel - Micro 43 (Four Thirds) Talk states, human detection could be improved upon.

1 Like

Thank you! I am very much interested in om1, hence my question. While considering the purchase, the most interesting are the deficiencies rather than strengths. Very useful indeed.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my OM-1 and have no regrets about pre-ordering it.

In the past, Olympus (and I am pretty much a confirmed Oly user for many decades) have made major software upgrades to their cameras, introducing new features and improved performance. Maybe this is the new normal across manufacturers now, but it is (IMHO) a selling point that upgrades WILL be made. Hence, I find after a year, the lack of anything other than corrections from OM Systems, disappointing.

2 Likes

https://www.kenrockwell.com/om/om-1.htm#intro

A few other relevant links:

Here’s a comparison of menu systems. The OM-1’s menu received special praise:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2023-05-menus.htm

This page shows ice hockey shot at 50 fps and why it matters: https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/frames-per-second.htm

It’s kind of similar to my recent post about the real-world benefit of 50 fps: Let's face it, nobody needs 50 fps

1 Like

Wow! I never paid much attention to the Rockwell website. But I was very impressed with the thoroughness of the review of OM-1. I’ve bookmarked the website.