It seems to me that m43s is growing in interest

I’ve noticed that there are more and more YouTuber content makers beyond the usual m43s makers that are ‘talking nice’ about m43s. Many of them seem to be outdoors photographers, and people who have purchased used m43s cameras. Has that been your experience as well?

I guess it’s been my experience as well, but only since I bought my G9 last year.

Not sure since I only started watching YouTube channel very recently. So far among the channels I subscribed, 2 are shooting with Panasonic, one is using S5 and the other should be a M43, not sure the exact model. Very nice result.

Interesting to note that both are German origin, one based in Australia and the other in Germany.

For the remaining 99% I am watching, mostly about travelling, are on phone or action cam. :pensive:

Lots of movement on prices for some bodies and lenses over here in Japan. I shop mostly on Amazon Japan, and have observed these trends in the last couple of months:

• OM-1 used prices have gone up about $100, from the previous all-time low of $1400
  • E-M5 III used prices have gone up by about $75
  • Panasonic 100-400 out of new stock
  • Panasonic 100-300 II used copies are no longer available for much less than new, as they used to be
  • Olympus 100-400 used prices seem to be lower than before

It’s about time! I am an avid hiker and backpacker in the US, and my G9 setup with three zooms is light enough that I don’t mind hauling the entire kit with me when I go. Granted that is a bit heavy for a backpacking trip but with the photos I get I really don’t care.
And in some people’s minds micro four thirds may have some limitations, but it’s like using any other tool, you learn to work around them and still get excellent results.
I just wish I had more time to be out with my camera!

I hope the market for M4/3 gear continues to be strong enough for manufacturers to stay in the game with new and improved products. I’m not sure what else I would want to buy, but GAS for something useful to me could move me at any time.

I don’t have any impression of increased interest in M4/3 based on YouTube videos, but I just returned from two weeks of being a tourist in Italy and the Dalmatian Coast and the thing that struck me was the nearly universal use of cell phone cameras. My impression of the relatively few dedicated cameras was that there were more Sonys than Nikons or Canons. A fair number of Lumix logos also caught my eye but I only noticed one other Olympus.

1 Like

I suspect that’s why Olympus got out of the business, which is a shame after their decades of innovation in camera design. I’ve used Olympus cameras since the 1980’s and still do - but I have a love-hate relationship with Olympus micro 4/3 bodies caused mainly by the many illogical and seemingly unnecessary inconsistencies and restrictions in both the menus and configurability. Panasonic bodies have fewer bells and whistles but are much more logical both in configuration and actual use. I just wish they used proper EVFs…

Had Olympus’ business practices been as good as their photographic gear, the future of m4/3 would feel much more secure.

1 Like

I bumped into a wildlife photographer at the weekend who greeted me with a ‘ahhh the competition’ - he looked at my camera and asked what it was. I explained it was an OM-1 and he asked if it was full frame or APS-C. Had to explain what Micro 4:3 is. He dismissed it and claimed that he loves Full Frame. There’s still a lot of people who do not know what it is.

The great unwashed, for the most part, revel in their unwashed status.

2 Likes