A Grand Day Out

Who needs an excuse for a nice day out? But my excuse was to test a few “new” things: my nice new (to me) “Made in Japan” 14-45 and a Samyang 7.5, all in a Peak Design Everyday Sling 3l. I bought the bag for this kind of setup, ie a full-size body with a medium sized lens (the G100+14-45 in this case) plus the GM5 with an ultrawide (the Samyang fisheye in this case) to avoid lens changes.

It was gloomy today up in the Pennines where I live but the weather looked lovely down on the coast so off I went - to Lytham. I parked near the church in St John’s Street and snapped this with the GM5:

Panasonic GM5+Samyang 7.5/3.5 Fisheye, 1/640 @ f/5.6 ISO 200

It was “defished” with the Fisheye Hemi plugin in Lightroom and slightly cropped to 5:4. It does exactly what I bought it for… all £65 of it :slight_smile:

Later, over by the windmill:

Panasonic G100+14-45/3.5-5.6 @18mm, 1/1600 @f /5.6 ISO 200

Full width crop to 16:9. I liked the cloud :wink:

All in all a Grand Day Out. Now where’s the cheese, Gromit…

3 Likes

Good heaven’s John that’s a wonderful photo .
One of the best I’ve seen in a while . Absolute perfection
in my estimation .
Ken

1 Like

Kind words, Ken. Thank you :slight_smile:

Composing with a lens that isn’t showing a WYSIWYG image in the finder is the closest I get to Ansel Adams approach of visualising the end result rather than what you see now. It never worked for me with Adams’ intended use - black-and-white images - but I can somehow do a cylindrical defish in my head with the Samyang. To my eye the end result is far more natural than that produced by a rectilinear ultrawide lens - and a lot cheaper.