Seeking advice as a new forum member

Its a great place to start, get the mark i and save some money, the mark ii has weather sealing as its only difference afaik.

The ii is a very nice camera. My strong preference for tilt screens rather than flip out types led me to the v.1 and I’ve been quite satisfied. It too has wx resistance but uses a 16Mpx sensor with pdaf overlay and cdaf also. The newer v.2/3 sensor does a fair amount better in extreme conditions but the 1.1 is plenty good. The updates definitely have improved AF and overall speed, but Live bulb/composite made their debut on the 1.1 body.

I use the Lumix 12-60, 45-150 and 100-300ii with it so all zooms go the same direction, plus Pentax primes with adapter. No issues but no syncIS available that way.

thanks guys.
So I have been playing around with my Olympus omd em1 Mark 2. This is an amazing camera, very responsive when I compare it to my sony a6600, for example.

I don’t have the manual, the menu is sometimes quite confusing and I have been watching a few youtube videos.

What about the exposure compensation, where you can see red for underexposure and blue for overexposure (or vice versa). How can I can install this. Do I have to program this on a C button? Any advice would be helpful.

The first thing you mention is travel photography, so the obvious choice is the “5” line, E-M5 III or OM-5 + 12-40 f2.8. If that lens is too pricy, try the compact 12-42 f3.5.5.6 EZ. That would be a good starting point to build from. If later your interests move to wildlife, macro or astro, you may want to consider one of the larger models although “5” cameras are perfectly capable of handling longer gear. I have no experience with Panasonic.

Congrats on getting the EM1-ii; it’s a great camera with huge potential for creating wonderful images.
Why not start with downloading the User manual - a great way to get acquainted with the overall camera and features. It doesn;t explain everything in detail, but you’ll know where to find settings and what they mean.
https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/support/e-m1-mark-ii#section-download-manual
As you become accustomed to and use the camera, you’ll want to know more about all these things.
There are tons of threads in all the forums, especially including the soon-to-be-archive-only DPreview M43 forum.
There are many great references and videos on every thing.
One thing I would do asap, is learn how to enable the Super Control Panel (SCP) and how to use it. It’s the focus for most of the major features/key adjustments, and is available immediately with the OK button (when set), if it isn’t enabled already…
You can ask specific questions on all the available M43 forums. BUT, I found that researching things on the interweb and prior posts in forums allows me to get differing views on what I’m wanting to know about. From those multiple info sources come other considerations which I might not have thought about.
Thx
Yuri

For the viewfinder Cog I - info settings.
For the screen Cog D1- info settings.
In both you have Image only, Custom 1, Custom 2. Turn all three on by making the tick show. Custom 1 and 2 have options that will show together when that custom is selected. You choose which you want to see.
So for the viewfinder I have the histogram ticked in custom 1 and the highlight and shadow in custom 2. I do not have the level gauge because with viewfinder mode I have selected I have a level gauge on half press. I also do not want the histogram and H/Shadow to show together.
For the screen custom 1, I have histogram and level gauge ticked and custom 2 highlight and shadow and level gauge ticked. I will usually be on a tripod or holding the camera low down when using the screen so the level gauge is useful.
The highlight and shadow is the red/blue indicator you asked about.
When taking a picture you can switch between the information shown by pressing the info button. In my case this is:- default information - picture only - custom 1 - custom 2. Then back to the start. (The first is on by default, the second by ticking the top option of the three in the cog menu.)

Have fun with your camera and, as others have said, the manual is very useful.